1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Beaufort Baur: FOUND!!!


UPDATE: 2/27/2012
EXCITING NEWS:  BEAUFORT BAUR HAS BEEN PURCHASED BY VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS GROUP!
Check it out here:


You may (or may not) recall the discussion months ago about a Baur (pictured below in the sidebar) that was found in an old ad on the True Gear Head website.

Here is the ad:
"1978 BMW 323i Baur Convertible – was for sale in True Gear Head: $3500 Rare European-only gray market e21 BMW 3 series Baur conversion. White w/blue interior, 5 speed (non sport), Stahl header, Recaro seats, Alpina gauge cluster, Alpina steering wheel, Alpina Shift Knob, New DieHard Battery, Runs strong, daily driver or ready to restore. NO structural rust (towers, jack points, etc) Just a few spots. Located near downtown Beaufort. "

I have posted this in the sidebar of my blog since about February. I contacted the folks at True Gear Head about the ad, but they had no info on it. We had a rumor that it may have gone to Georgia, but we could never pin that down.

Today, as you may have read in the "Wanted: Crushed or Alive" bimmerforums thread, I received an email from Eric B. in California, who is the guy who bought the car from Beaufort. It currently resides in his shop, and, if I understood his email correctly, he owns ANOTHER Baur also! (See pic above.)
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1606105&page=2
I have responded to Eric's email, and I hope to have more info from him to report: car details, Baur plate number, how he learned about us, etc.

This did give me a chuckle this morning, btw, when I was thinking..... who was the more surprised.... Eric when he saw his car posted with this headline:
"The Baurhunter: Have you seen this Baur? Beaufort, SC", complete with a picture of his car.....

.... or me, when I received his email stating he's the owner of the famous Beaufort Baur!!



So stay tuned. More to come.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566814

No comments:

Post a Comment