1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Monday, March 12, 2012

New Baur Find in Bellingham WA

As I mentioned in a brief post the other day, I have been contacted by Tom of Bellingham WA.  He owns Baur #215, which he obtained from his boss, a BMW Tech, on the condition that he get it running.  NICE! And congrats to Tom!


I mentioned to tom that there is an strong group of E21 enthusiasts up in the Pacific Northwest (the PNWBBs), who I am sure would be eager to help him through any difficulties.... and eager to see his Baur!  They don't have many up that way:  Seth has one, there is that beautiful black E30 around Portland, and there was another E30 for sale in Seattle not long ago. Check out the

Here are some of his comments on the Baur's status at present:
"It ran when last parked about 8 years ago.  Now that the new Weber is on it should fire right up.  I need to bleed the brakes and replace the shocks/struts.  It was rear ended and both front and rear were damaged.  A new Radiator support and rear clip (welded rear of the fuel door) were welded in place and that is where my boss stopped.   I expect to have it running and driving in the next few weeks-no rush though, spring doesn't start here until July.  I then plan on finishing a bit of filler work on the rear quarter panels and fixing a handful  of parking lot dings.  The body work probably should be complete before summer as well but I may not have it painted until next spring due to time and money. "


And he asks the $64,000 Question:  "Do you have any idea what the car is worth when I'm done? (assuming the paint and body work are of good quality and not noticable to the untrained eye-professionals can ALWAYS tell)"

:)

Prices are all over the place, but I happen to believe that they may be headed up.  We are working hard here at Baurspotting to promote an awareness of the E21s, and the E21 Baurs in particular.    And we are starting to see some outstanding Baur projects develop, particularly by folks like bimmerforums member 1rdmanahan1 in Texas, and now Ron Perry and Vintage Motorsports out in California. 

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/03/ok-boys-and-girls-we-have-real-treat.html

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/02/vintage-motorsports-buys-beaufort-baur.html

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/01/mission-accomplished-four-us-tc1-baurs.html

That said, most of us are not in the classic car business for pecuniary reasons.  Most of us are here because we love these cars, whether that be for reasons of style, performance, or historical significance, etc.  But no one is going to complain if they also turn out to have a decent ROI (return on investment)!

Personally, I don't ever expect to sell my Baur, but rather simply pass it along to my sons. But that discussion is for another day!

here are some more pics of Tom's new Baur:



Congratulations again to Tom, and we look forward to hearing about his progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment