1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Monday, May 27, 2013

Another 'Small Baur World' Triumph at The Vintage at the Vineyards!

You may recognize this pic.  We posted yesterday in this post:  http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2013/05/report-from-front-part-iii-400-pics.html



At the time, we only knew that the two folks on the left were Eileen and Mike P.   We were 'flying blind' (i.e. without being able to easily directly contact Ed P, the photographer, to positively identify the other two folks on the right in the pic).  Since we knew that Ed was travelling with fellow Baur Owners, Jeff and Dawn D., along with Eileen and Mike, P., it seemed reasonable that the two folks on the right might be Jeff and Dawn.  So we erroneously identified them that way.  This morning I got a note from Jeff, saying he did not know who the two folks on the right were, but..... they were NOT Jeff and Dawn D.  Oops.  Faux pas on my part?  I apologized to Jeff for the mistake.... a good faith guess in the 'fog of the excitement" that was just dead wrong.  Day um.  It happens.  

So..... this afternoon I get the following email from Mike P..... who we did correctly identify in the pic.  (BTW, in my defense ....  I correspond with many great people here on Baurspotting, but I have only had the privilege of meeting a few in person.  Ed THEPOOLEMAN, for one.  I have never met Jeff and Dawn, nor Mike and Eileen. At least not yet.  I do look forward to doing exactly that in the coming years.)  
Anyway, I received the following email from Mike P. a little while ago:

Tom
Wanna hear a neat Baur story!

The other couple in this picture is Amandio and Natalie (They live in Massachusetts).   Amandio came up to me at the Vintage and told me he had imported an 02 Baur from France last summer and when he went to pick it up in Baltimore our cars were side by side.  Turns out they came over on the same boat!!!!   Theirs is a 75    Boy did we have great fun talking about that!!!

You may already know them   He is going to email me when he gets home and if not I will put you in touch

It was nice meeting Ed and the other Baur folks

Hope you can get down this way sometime


So, the two other folks in the pic, while they are NOT who we guessed they were.... but they are INDEED Baur Owners.  You may recall that Mike and Eileen's Baur came by ship from The Netherlands.  Amandio's Baur came over on the same boat at the same time..... to the Port of Baltimore MD..... and Amandio lives in MA---- and here they are together in a pic about one year later at the Vintage at the Vineyards in NC!  

Well, folks you know we have posted a number of times about this being a "Small Baur World".... and there have been many serendipitous instances and coincidences that uncannily seem to involve the same small number of Baurs.   

Here is another textbook example!  In addition to the amazing coincidence described above..... there is more!  

Last October, my son Brian and I attended the Bav Auto Show and Shine in Portsmouth NH.  We hung out that day with our friend Ed THEPOOLEMAN---- the same photographer who took the pic of Mike and Eileen above.  We all spent some time that day talking with a fellow Baur owner from MA who told us the story of bringing in his Baur from Europe by ship to Baltimore..... and his surprise at finding that there was ANOTHER Baur on the boat to the US with his!!  

I had forgotten all about this conversation..... until I got Mike's email today!  The Baur owner that we chatted with at Bav Auto in NH last October is the very SAME fella in the pic with Mike and Eileen 840 miles away  in NC yesterday!  And the Baur that was on the Boat from Europe with his was Mike and Eileen's Baur!  Too funny!!!  You can't make this stuff up! I love it!

It is a Small Baur World indeed!  Welcome to Amandio and Nathalie!   :)  And thank you to Mike for sharing that story!  And thanks to Ed for taking the pic that captured all of this!

The Hits keep coming!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment