1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Small Baur World..... Again!

UPDATE July 9, 2014:  About a year after this post was published, this Baur was stolen in Knoxville, TN.  Baurspotting helped get the word out, and it was recovered about 12 hours later.  Here is a link to the story:
http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2014/07/baurspotters-alert-2002-cabrio-baur.html


Yep, it has happened again!  :)

Last September 2012, we were alerted to a craigslist ad for a reddish Baur Cabrio Targa for sale in Tennessee.  We were unable to contact anyone, and the ad disappeared.  We did, however manage to save about 13 of the pics from the ad.  We alerted our Baurspotters down that way, but we came up empty-handed.

Then last Sunday, July 7, 2013, thanks to chichy in 2002FAQ, I discovered a great site filled with old brochures. More like The Motherlode of Brochures!  What a great find!   I posted several BMW Baur and Cabrio related items, including this one:
http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2013/07/bmw-2002-baur-cabrio-targa-brochure-1974.html

Monday morning I receive an email alert of a post to my blog from KnoxGeeks:
"Love it! Thanks for the post. I have a Pomegranate Red 1975 Baur sitting in my garage right now with about 63,000 KM on it. One repaint in the original color (special order as I'm told) extremely solid and original. It was brought here from the Canary Islands and originally purchased by a Petroleum Engineer, who worked for Shell Oil, as his weekend runabout. 
She has uprated sway bars, a Weber carb, and an Ireland engineering cam. Other than that, no modifications at all." 

And my response:
"Sounds beautiful! If you like, send me some pics and I will post it up here in Baurspotting, along with any info you care to share with the Baur World! 

Send to: tom82baurxxxxxxxx


:)

Where are you located?

Tom"


Hi Tom,
Located in beautiful Knoxville, TN. Just snapped some pictures, though it's fairly dark out, so I send some better ones when I go for a cruise later in the week. Thanks for all you do for the community!
-Chris


Me again:  
Thank you for your kind words. this is a Labor of Love for me! 

Your Baur isn't this one, by any chance, is it? I am not sure if you can access this link here or not. 
Scroll way down this page to see a red Baur Cabrio that was spotted in Tennessee a while back. Waaaay down the page.
http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/p/new-gallery-of-16002002-baur-cabrios.html

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiop4HXM9i8svpvm0yIrWqfAG5k2APqnjl8Yzp4-ZZDJBVB_87xCeCFhRVZgE6faU3B5h6dU9fk-VhaE-zyQMDpu5Efdid2HD8wa7Ve8WQi9cxWJjnCJb451WQJKsQVnq-m2KVUOYxa0UCx/s320/1975+2002+Red+Targa.jpg



As soon I posted this on the blog, I checked my email to find that Chris (the owner) had indeed sent me some pics. 

And you guessed:  the pics he sent were the same exact car in the pics I had just posted to him in the blog!  

SMALL BAUR WORLD STRIKES AGAIN!

This is the Baur we have been hoping to find since last September!  And he contacts US!  too funny!  And you wonder why I love doing this stuff?  :)



Here is Chris' response:
"Yep, That's her. We brought her over from Nashville where she was kept in not-so-kind storage in an open carport. Cest' la vie, at least she has a nice weatherproof garage to call home! Outside storage did a number on the rear wheel arches, so I am trying to find somebody here locally who is brave enough to tackle blending in the rear quarters after the metal work is complete. There are a few other niggling details to sort out, runs rich (I suspect the Weber isn't properly jetted) and the seals for the rear soft top and targa are dry, so I'm loathe to take her out when rain is imminent. 
Love this site, you should be proud of all the effort you've put into it!"
-Chris 

So, without further ado, let me introduce you to Chris H., and his 'reddish' 1975 Baur Cabrio Targa!

First, here are the pics that Chris sent me yesterday:








These are the pics that we have had in our files since the fall of 2012, when we copped them from the craig's list ad, ....waiting and hoping to find the new owner:














Welcome to our Baur World, Chris, and congratulations on that lovely Baur!

Incidentally, speaking of Small Baur World.... I stumbled on this last night also.  Could you be the red Baur that he spotted on the highway?  If I was a betting man..... I'd say odds are it was you!  

;)


No comments:

Post a Comment