1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

BMW 2002 Diesel!

That is NOT a misprint!

I love diesels.  I have owned a 1975 Mercedes W115 300D for about 12 years, and for several years it was my daily driver.   I donated it to charity recently, only because, with so many BMW projects going on, I just didn't have time to give it the care it needed.  But I continue to be fascinated by an engine that runs so well without spark plugs, distributor, etc.  Diesels rock!

My diesel was plodding and slow, of course, especially compared to the modern versions that have actually beaten their gas engine counterparts in the 1/4 mile and 0-60 match-ups.  Diesel has come a long way, and this does not even take into account their superiority in fuel economy a durability.... did I mention low end torque?   ;)  Diesels are great.

That being said.....  how about a diesel in an '02??  Heresy?  Sacrilege?  Oh, the horror!

;)

Personally, while I don't have the skills to attempt something like this, I applaud the guys who do.  Regardless of how you may feel about putting a diesel in a 2002.... you gotta admire the thought and the work that went into making this thing a reality.

So kudos to 'couttsdesign" of the 2002 FAQ who posted this video today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvfwFEUxss

Here are some of his comments about the project, as well as some links to his build thread:
Thanks for the enthusiastic interest.  I have build threads on this forum as well as the TDI club forum for those looking for more info. Please note, I had a baby recently so my build threads haven't been updated for a few months.  here are links to the build threads and my photobucket account....


Some of the info has changed since I first started those build threads so I'll give a brief overview here and try to answer your questions.  
-The engine is from a 2001 VW Jetta TDI, engine code ALH.  
-Transmission is a Toyota W158.  Connected to the engine via an adapter plate from this company...http://www.acmeadapters.com/.  There is more detailed information in my build threads regarding the Toyota tranny and bellhousing.
-Differential is 2.93 LSD from an e30 with a cover from an E36.  I had to modify the rear subframe to accommodate this differential.  I'd say this may be one of the most limiting factors of this swap.  Stock 2002 differentials will result in RPM's that are too high for everyday driving.  The TDI MAX RPM is about 5000.  Most driving is between 1800 and 3000 RPM, and highway cruising max efficiency is right around 2000-2400 RPM.
-Modern TDI engine's should not be run on veggie oil or WVO.  Biodiesel is fine.  I'd love to swap an older Mercedes engine, like from the 190D to run veggie oil.  Someone DO IT!
-Custom driveshaft
-Custom motor mounts
-OIL filter housing is the other major limiting factor in this swap.  The stock filter housing interferes with the steering box and probably the brake booster.  I had to build a bracket to relocate the filter housing.  

Yeah, I am in Belmont Shore....and my wife's reaction truly is priceless....BUT, this may be the world's first diesel conversion, so maybe her reaction is justified...."Oh my god...it actually works!" hahaha :rolleyes:

More here:
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/145188-2002-tdi-diesel-conversion-first-test-drive/

Congrats to couttsdesign!  Full steam ahead!



No comments:

Post a Comment