1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Lime Rock 'Sunday in the Park' 2013


September 1, 2013 was the Sunday in the Park Concours and The Gathering of the Marques at Lime Rock Park in Sharon, Connecticut.  This was part of the Historic Festival 31, a weekend of racing and parading for HIstoric and Vintage racers.  A high point of the weekend for many of us is the opportunity to join The Gathering of the Marques, and park our cars down on the Lime Rock track!

We had a 5 car caravan (later 6 when John O. from Sports Car Restoration joined us at Goshen) heading up to Lime Rock today from our meeting point in West Hartford.  Here we are at a brief fueling/supply stop enroute.  Don't ask me where we were, I was just following the parade! 


Nate W from Sports Car Restoration (l) and Matt P. (r).

Kevin W. and his friend Ray in Kevin's 1600.

Baurspotting (l) and Simon K at the fuel pump.

Kevin and Ray heading out.


Kevin W's 1600

Simon K in the rearview.

Here are my pics of the Lime Rock "Sunday in the Park' 2013.  I will caption them as time allows, but I wanted to get them posted for now.  We start with the '02 section, with a few E21s, E30's and Nate's 1800 thrown in.   















Too slow on the draw to catch this Mark II Jaguar.  Hi, Lance!
















yeah, that's right.  Callaway turbo on this 1983 320i Sport package.  Reese Callaway's first turbo was on an E21 320i.  


Coral

Hennarot







A 2002ti, folks!









UPDATE 9/8/2013: From Achman in the 2002FAQ forum:
"Lime Rock was great again as usual, little "Gerta" was accepted into the Sunday in the Park Concours show, which was why she wasn't parked over by the other 2002s...

I think most people missed her as our class was all the way at the end of the main straight.

Anyway, to our surprise, she took 2nd in class! We got a nice trophy and had a great time.

Our class was interesting:

19. “Form Follows Function,” practical perfection, commercial and practical vehicles 1955 to 1985

Some great looking vehicles, but the judge said the originality and documentation we had helped us a lot.
 
If you haven't gone, definitely make it a must-do for next year!"

I did a walking tour of the track, taking some pics along the way, but I was rudely interrupted by a downpour.  I never got to complete the entire show, because I had optimistically, and foolishly, left the top down on my Baur!  Which is where I also left my rain jacket and umbrella, naturally!  I was at the exact opposite end of the park when the skies let loose, so I had to hustle all the way back, hoping all the way that the downpour would cease.  In vain, of course, so I got a good soaking.  But upon arriving at my car, I found that Good Samaritans had been looking out for those of us who had been so foolish, and both the Targa and the soft top were up on my car!  

Thank you again to Matt P. and John O. for coming to my rescue!  The interior had a gotten a little wet, but by the time I left the show it was already dry.  I owe you guys one!  Hats off to Matt and John!










Targa!  Er, I mean.... Top Cabriolet!  Sorry, Porsche.










911 50th Anniversary























New dad Jeff K departing.  Congrats, Jeff!


These pics do not do justice to the variety and quality of the cars on display today.  They are only a small sampling of the field.   I think I have about 90 pics here, more or less.  I could have taken 900, and STILL not done justice to what was there.  
The show was featuring two Marques celebrating their 50th Anniversary this year:  Porsche 911 and the Corvette Stingray.  not to mention all the vintage racers that were on the field today, and racing all weekend!

Put this show on your bucket list, folks.  It is just an amazing event!  
Baurspotting will have more pics from Sunday in the Park at Lime Rock soon!

Here they are!

1 comment: