1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Friday, September 13, 2013

LIVE Part II... Michael Behman's Project Baur September 2013

5:30pm
We just received an update from our friend Michael Behman in PA who is restoring his Baur.   He is doing some rust repairs which require him to get under the car.  Here is how he is doing it!

Where there is a will.... there is a way!

Kudos, Michael!  Please keep those pics coming!

Here are Michael's own words:



The Baur is on its side. Getting ready to weld from the bottom! I hope this is the only time i'll see her from this angle :)







Yankee improvisation!!  Homemade rotisserie!  Gotta love it!  

Ready to weld!  Be careful and stay safe, Michael.  

UPDATE 7:11 pm
Michael has sent me some more info that I want to share with you:
Thanks Tom I m so happy to be part of your blogposts! I am going to weld the bottom of the passenger side and put in my jackpods...

Then I am going to get it back on the ground and drop the rear cradle as one unit before flipping in the opposite way to do the other side.

My goal is to have both sides of the floor done by monday. Then i'll start to finish the trunk area from the bottom. It will be a busy wknd

Michael,
The pleasure is all ours!  Thank you for sharing your work!  It is really a treat for us to see this work virtually as it is happening.  This is like having our own "Baur Restoration Reality Show"!   Seeing someone we know actually do this work is an inspiration to all of us!

Thanks again for sharing it with us!

September 14 UPDATE:
"Live from the PA capital scott behman! New episodes every weekend ;) Worked til 1030 last night. Making good progress. This side should be done by the end of the day."  Michael B.

September 15 Update:
"Hey Tom, I have a few more pics for you. This is the passenger side "jack pod. For strength I double layered it. I welded the first piece in, then drilled holes into the second layer to "rosebud" weld it to the first piece. Then welded the edges of both layers together. Ready to tack weld the opposite side "pod" in before we flip it on the other side. Having the car on edge was a good opportunity to finish stripping of the undercoating. A few spots had rust under the undercoating from the the circular pieces rusting from the top and left the floor rusting from both sides :/ I advise ALL Northeast E21 owners to pull out their seats and pull the carpet to see how  bad the rust is. There will be rust! Save the E21's everybody!"   ---Michael






Check out our previous post on Michael's project:






No comments:

Post a Comment