1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Karam's Dilemma: E21 Baur in Jordan





Karam Massis Awwad owns this E21 Baur in Jordan.  He is faced with a dilemma, that many of us face:  can he restore and save this Baur, or should he move on to find a better example?   What do you think?  There are some special circumstances in this case, however:   Jordan has some new regulations regarding importing and registering cars that are more than 5 years old..... a VERY stiff price!  See the Facebook thread below.


















Here is his recent post about this car in Jeroen's BMW E21 Network in Facebook.  Check it out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/455067631179368/749098391776289/?notif_t=group_activity

  • Karam Massis Awwad Jeroen, here are the pictures you requested...
  • Jeroen de Laat Thanks, doesn't look that much different compared to my own car even though I haven't taken it apart. But it looks like a lot of filler was used on this particular car! But perhaps the experts see differences. Michel perhaps?
  • Karam Massis Awwad What are your thoughts Jeroen? is it worth restoring? I have a US spec 320 coupe in pristine condition as a Donner but a little hesitant especially with replacement parts for the roof...
  • Jeroen de Laat It's going to be quite a job. I'm also lazy so I'd definitely consider finding a better example as well. Parts can be found used in Europe but shipping can be costly.
  • Bart Huyghe Needs a hole lot of work... I have a good baur frame... Located in Belgium.... Make a trip and come and get it... 
  • Jeroen de Laat Finding all separate parts may turn out to be time consuming and costly. But if you find a possible donor car it may be in a better condition than this one! Further, sacrificing a perfectly good car may be a waste as well!
  • Karam Massis Awwad Well, I live in Jordan and Tariffs are really steep for newly imported cars, in addition a new regulation became validated last year, where only used no older that 5 years could be imported into the country!!! The Baur is already registered & licensed in Jordan; hence the idea of restoring it. I have had the US spec 320I for a few years now, when I imported it to Jordan at the time the fee to register it was in excess of $15000, which way too much money...so I ended up chopping the side panels and paying a fee of $1000 just to make it an official parts car.
  • Karam Massis Awwad I will probably drop the Baur and get me a coupe with good bones on it...Thanks for sharing your thoughts..
  • Jeroen de Laat bad situation in Jordan then! Never heard of appreciation and preservation of automotive heritage I guess?

So what advice would you give to Karam? 

Stay tuned!  We will update this project when we hear more about it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment