1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Klingberg Vintage Motor Car Festival June 18, 2016

Today was the occasion for one of my favorite shows all year round:  the Klingberg Vintage Motor Car Festival, featuring Grand Marshal Wayne Carini of the Velocity Channel's "Chasing Classic Cars".  This is arguably one of the best shows in the Northeast, if not the East!  Hundreds of cars spread over the gorgeous hilltop location, the campus of the Klingberg Family Center* in New Britain.   Full disclosure:  my friend, Steve Girelli, Ph.D., is the President/CEO of Klingberg, and I applaud the work that Klingberg does which, btw, includes starting an automotive/vocational shop for the kids they serve about two years ago.  Kudos, Klingberg!

The variety of cars appearing at this show is nothing short of amazing, as you will soon see in the pics below.  I have one cautionary note:  I took over 200 pics here today, but I could not give it the 'full Lissa Rickman treatment' and shoot a pic of every car!  I don't know how she does that!  I was on sensory overload very quickly, and decided that I had to put some limits on the picture-taking, or I would never get outta there!  ;)  So any limitation was entirely my own personal shortcoming, and does not reflect at all on the excellent showing on the the field today!  I absolutely loved it!


This was the first car I saw today, a fine original example, nicely displayed.   

Oh, and there were trucks here today.  Lots of trucks!  I love trucks!  ;)







OK, I confess.  I love these! My friend had a 1969 Roadrunner back in the day.  Same color blue.  Awesome machine, scary fast in a straight line! 




















REAL woodies!

Corvairs, at least 4 or 5 of them! 

GTO:  my dad use to say that stood for 'Gas, Tires, and Oil'...... which as a gas station owner, that is what those letters represented to him!  Money in the Bank!  ;)  



Love this!  ;)



Fins to the left.... ;)



Did I mention that there were some trucks there?  ;)

Another 'Goat".  ;) 
OK.  There were a number of Studebakers here today!  I think I got them all!  Here is one! 


Not a lot of Alfas present.  
Studebaker 2!


Amazing number of antiques! Stunning number!  







Brass Era!  

1915.  But NOT the earliest!  Stay tuned!   

 MG Magnette, featuring a Lucas battery!  Ha! 



 1914.


Nice hood ornament!  






Live onsite interview, "Racing Action Today"! 

Land Yacht Class.  ;)  




1912. 









Studebaker Golden Hawk!  Factory Super Charged!  Studebaker #3.


Oh, Lordy!  What a grand motor car! 





1914 Stutz!  My dad used to refer to the Stutz Bearcat as 'The Cat's Meow"!  ;)
1914 Stutz.


Early Motorcycles.






1902 Columbia built by Pope in Hartford, CT.   Yes, it is motorized! 

Speaking of Pope/Hartford! Like many early automobile makers, they started as bicycle makers, then moved to motor cars.




1904 Ford Model A.  The original Model A!  :)   




This is an air-cooled 1903 Franklin from my town, East Lyme, CT.  The owner, seated at right, was born shortly after.  ;)










This is for Rob Siegel.  ;) 
This is my friend Karl's 1922 Studebaker.  I forgot to get a pic of the plaque,  Studebaker #4.  

























Auburn-Cord. 





1904.  


Trumbulls, built right here in Connecticut! 







Klingberg's own Vintage Motor Car.  This car is incredibly gorgeous! 
Acetylene for lamps.  
Gas headlamp.  Yeah, you read that right.  :)  


Also a gas headlamp.  





Trumbulls from the rear.


I am told that that gear on the wheel is for the odometer.






Now that is what you call a chrome grille!







The Auburn Boattail Speedster. 









Oh, Lordy!  I was so happy to see the 'Bete Noir' ---The Black Beast--- again!  I recognized this guy from an appearance here a couple of years ago, when I had captured this 'beast 'running on video.  So I approached him today, gesturing at an imaginary watch on my wrist, as if to say, 'when are you going to show us how it sounds...."  I never actually said a word, though, but he sees my gesture, smiles, and says "OK, you talked me into it."  I couldn't believe it1  He goes right over and starts it up, as you can see in the pic above!  Incredible sound, highlight of my day! A real crowd-pleaser!  He was parked at the top of the hill, so I am sure folks could hear that monster eruption for miles around! 






Oh, yes.  The Ferraris came out today. 



And this one too.  ;) 











Valentine's Day grille, anyone?  








That's right:  the American built Rolls Royce, built in Springfield, MA.  







How often do you get to tag a Police Car!  Baurspotting tagged it!  ;)  A clever new twist in Police Community Relations!  Great idea!  Kudos to Sign Pro and the New Britain Police department!  









Yes, BMW was represented there.  And so was Lime Rock Park.  :)


More Corvairs.  So there, Ralph Nader!  ;)  










Avanti Convertible! Factory Original.


How often do you see TWO 1958 Chevrolets!   My family had a 1958 Brookwood Station Wagon---Sierra Gold--- our first new car! 

Straight from Toon Town!  I love the Metropolitans! 




Daimler Dart V8!












Dattco furnished shuttle buses from the New Britain Bees baseball stadium parking lot to the Klingberg campus every few minutes all day long.  This show is the result of a very well-organized community effort to support a worthwhile program.  Kudos to all!

*http://klingberg.org








No comments:

Post a Comment